EXPLORE: Positano, Rome, Ravello, Amalfi, Sorrento, Capri, Paestum, Pompeii.
Explore hidden piazzas lined with cafes and shops in the maze of steep stairs and alleyways. Visit a boutique winery at the foothills of the Vesuvius, where vines find nutrients and minerals in the depths of thousand-year old lava, giving its wines particular colors and aromas. Explore the bustling streets of Sorrento, where you will find an extraordinary view of the entire Gulf of Naples. Witness the drama of ancient history in Pompeii, the Roman city buried by volcanic ash for centuries after the devastating eruption of 79 A.D.
Discover how local products are made, during your visit at an organic Mozzarella di Bufala cheese farm and Limoncello factory, take a cooking class by local Italian Mamma's, as you soak up the atmosphere of this vibrant Mediterranean coast.
(Itinerary is subject to change with or without notice. The sequence of day trips may vary. The final itinerary will be given to travelers prior to the start of the trip.)
Friday | Day 1 | Benvenuto - Welcome!
Arrival in Rome after a long flight overseas, so get some rest in what the Romans called ‘Roma Caput Mundi’ (Rome, Capital of the World). Stay in a historical aristocratic palazzo, turned into a 4-star hotel, located in one of Rome's most sumptuously elegant neighborhoods. First night stay in Rome hotel.
Saturday | Day 2 | Buongiorno to You from Italy!
Start the trip of a lifetime in one of the world’s most beautiful cities! After breakfast, you’ll admire some of the classic splendors of the Roman Empire. A private orientation tour in the "Eternal City" exploring its civilization through the ages and some of its most famous landmarks with a local guide and private driver. Wear comfortable shoes as the tour will last about 3 hours.
Besides walking by many sites, your visit will also include a panoramic view of the city by private transportation through some of the city’s most famous landmarks: the Spanish Steps, the Trevi Fountain, the Pantheon (internal visit), and Piazza Navona, among many others.
After a delicious lunch in a Roman trattoria, we'll make our way to Southern Italy and the Amalfi Coast (about 4.5 hours total drive time with a couple breaks). Check into our beautiful family-owned boutique hotel in Positano. You'll fall in love with this sweet family who will make you feel at home the moment you walk in. Take some time for a relaxing stroll through this beautiful 'vertical' village and enjoy dinner with the group in a local restaurant near the hotel.
Breakfast, lunch, dinner.
Sunday | Day 3 | La Costa dei Sogni : The Coast of Dreams
Today we visit the awe-inspiring coastal villages along the ‘Costiera’, including Amalfi, with its spectacular byzantine-style Cathedral, lovely shops, and characteristic piazza. (about 1-hour drive). We continue to Ravello for a group lunch in one of the most scenic and high-level restaurants of the area.
Free time in Ravello, with its aristocratic villas clinging to the mountainside and breath-taking views of lemon orchards planted on terraced cliffs. Visit the ruins of the 11th-century Moorish Villa Rufolo, the former residence of a rich trading family. Then if you wish, you can also walk up to the magical gardens of Villa Cimbrone on your own (about a 25 minute walk each way from the main piazza). Shop for the wonderful bright hand-painted pottery items. On our way back to Positano we’ll stop at one of the most beautiful ultra-luxury hotels to take some photos and where you can enjoy a sumptuous aperitivo cocktail before dinner. Enjoy a delicious dinner in a family owned trattoria with traditional local dishes!
Breakfast, lunch, dinner.
Monday | Day 4 | L’Arte del Vivere Bene : The Art of Living Well
Morning on your own to relax and explore the charming town of Positano ~ it’s a vacation after all!
Afternoon departure to the lively town of Sorrento (about 50 minutes by car) which boasts breath-taking views from its steep cliffs over the entire Gulf of Naples and the Vesuvius, and the local specialty Limoncello. at a small traditional factory where you'll be able to get a refreshing tasting! Enjoy some free time to explore Sorrento’s lovely shops, boutiques, and..more shops! Explore the local artisans, especially known for hand-engraved wooden boxes. Save some $$ and bring your passport number with you to fill out the TAX-FREE form and get over 13% back before you leave!
Then meet by specified landmark in the bustling Piazza Tasso for a group dinner in Sorrento with a piping-hot Neapolitan-style pizza!
Tuesday | Day 5 | Alla Scoperta del Nostro Passato : Discovering our Past
Today we're off to one of the pearls of the Mediterranean: the posh and
dramatic Island of Capri! Drop-off by the Marina Grande, from where you
can take the cable car up to the city of Capri (tickets included). Enjoy
some free time and today’s lunch is on your own (not included). At your
leisure you can take a picturesque walk to the top of the island
visiting the remains of Emperor Tiberius's Villa Jovis, passing by
fragrant groves of chestnut, pine, lemon, and olive trees, and rose
gardens spilling over elegant villa walls (about 45 minute walk EACH
WAY). Or, take a cab (15 minutes drive) up to the old town of Anacapri, a
less-touristy part of the island.Group gathers at dock to continue a
memorable boat tour around the island, during which you’ll have the
chance to go into the Blue Grotto (extra charges apply – to be paid
directly on site, subject to weather conditions). We will also be able
to take a swim in a quiet bay, away from crowds. Return to the docks in
Positano. Enjoy dinner on your own.
Wednesday | Day 6 | Cucina & Sapori Regionali : The Flavors of Regional Cuisine
Today we’re off to the surroundings of the town of Battipaglia, south of the Amalfi Coast, known for the production of the world's best gourmet Mozzarella di Bufala (made from buffalo milk). We'll visit a local organic farm where you can see how this tasty cheese is made as well as enjoy a delicious lunch with the farm's specialties. We will now take a trip back in time, visiting the Greek temples of Paestum. These amazing structures are the standing remains of three major temples in Doric style, dating from the first half of the 6th century BC, a huge testimony of the Greek colonies in this area. These were dedicated to Hera, Apollo, and Athena. On our way back we are going up the mountains to a hidden gem - a small family farm where you’ll learn to cook some regional specialties during a fun cooking class with local Mamma's! A truly enchanting place for a memorable dinner.
Breakfast, lunch, dinner.
Thursday | Day 7 | Eleganza nella Storia : Elegant History
Free day to relax in Positano. It is a vacation after all!! Try relaxing
by the beach, explore the gorgeous boutiques in this sunny
Mediterranean village, shop for the brightly painted vases and table
tops, go for a hike up in the mountains on the various trails, or get a
spa treatment. Then, float back down to earth and meet in lobby for
another scrumptuos meal with the group!
Friday | Day 8 | Vino, Storia e Amicizia : Wine, History & Friendship
Leave hotel to go towards the intimidating colossus of Mount Vesuvius,
the infamous volcano whose eruption buried almost 2,000 people. Its
unforgiving lava, however, left behind a rich soil full of minerals
where lovely vines produce a light and floral wine called ‘Lacryma
Christi’ (from Latin: Tears of Christ). We’ll learn more about it during
a private visit of a local family owned vineyard, where the friendly
owners will tell us about their history and products, which we’ll enjoy
during our group lunch featuring home-made local specialties! On the way
we’ll stop at a famous “Cameo” factory, it is here that the most
world-renown cameo masters create these superbly detailed pendants and
jewels from seashells and rare Mediterranean red coral. We continue for
the treasures that for centuries were hidden beneath layers of lava
stone in the nearby town of Pompeii. A local guide will walk us through
the amazing Roman lifestyle, visiting villas with wonderful frescoes,
mosaics, and gardens, once residences of roman patricians before the
tremendous eruption of 79 A.D.
Group dinner on the way back to Positano.
Breakfast, lunch, dinner.
Saturday | Day 9 |Tesori tra Mare e Cielo : Treasures between Sea and Sky
Aaaah.... take it easy today with an incredibly scenic and
mind-soothing boat ride along the coast, visiting hidden caves with
sparkling emerald waters. De-stress with a refreshing swim near a quiet
bay. Group lunch along the way. Take some of the best photos you’ll ever
take as we discover hidden inlets and grottos only accessible by
swimming! We’ll pass the coastal towns of Praiano, the fiord of Furore,
Sofia Loren’s villa at Conca dei Marini, Atrani, and Amalfi. Truly, a
day to remember for years to come! Towels, refreshments, and water
provided. Wear your bathing suit, comfortable clothing, and bring sun
screen (you can sit in the shade or sunny areas on the boat).
Return to the dock in Positano and walk back up to hotel. Dinner on your own.
Sunday | Day 10 | Ritorno alle Nostre Origini : Back to the Origins..
Be ready with your luggage in the lobby. Please ask the concierge if you need assistance in taking them down from your room to the lobby. The driver will be available to help load suitcases onto vans. After check-out we’ll begin our drive towards Rome. Group lunch along the way in Cassino, historical site home to the famous Abbey of Montecassino.
Check-in Rome hotel for final night stay. Enjoy your final day at your leisure in this spectacular city, where discovery never ends!
Monday | Day 11 | Arrivederci!
Check-out from Hotel, settle extra charges, and ... Arrivederci! As hard as it may be to leave these beautiful sites, we hope to see you again very soon in lovely Italy!
What's included in the Jewels of the Amalfi Coast Tour:
- 2 Nights lodging in a 4-Star Hotel in the historical center of Rome + 8 Nights in a family Boutique Hotel in Positano (Amalfi Coast), for a trip totaling 11 Days/10 Nights (Depart from the US on Thursday and return on Monday).
- Small group travel! Maximum of 12 travelers per group.
- Privately escorted day-trips with full-time English-speaking local Italian Nada's Italy Tour Leader throughout the trip (in some cases, it's Nada herself!).
- Excursions include Rome (with a local guide), Capri (includes private boat tour - weather permitting), Sorrento, Amalfi, Ravello (includes an entrance ticket to Villa Rufolo), Paestum (includes entrance fee), Pompeii (includes entrance fee). Itinerary & destinations may vary on time of year and weather conditions.
- Unique Experiences: 1 Wine Tour, 2 excursions with a private boat to the Island of Capri and along the entire Amalfi Coast (weather permitting). 1 Cooking Class on a family farm, featuring traditional local dishes, Visit of traditional ‘Mozzarella di Bufala ’ cheese farm followed by lunch, Private guided introductory tour of Rome.
- Meals included: All Breakfasts, 6 Lunches, 6 Dinners (included meals are shown at bottom of each day in the itinerary).
- Beverages included: bottled water, soft drinks (in limited amounts), coffee, and 2 glasses of wine per person (choice of red or white) with included lunches and dinners.
- Private luxury transportation for day trips throughout the stay in a comfortable air-conditioned van with professional driver (does not include: transfer from and to the airport, airfare, or any other personal travel expenses).
- PLUS: Italian Travel Phrasebook + Nada's Italy Luggage Tags + Apron + Maps for places visited during your tour and MUCH MORE!!
- Customer Loyalty Reward: receive a $300 credit towards any future trips you take with Nada's Italy!
- No bag limit! (Most tours have a 1-bag limit per person).
- Local VAT taxes and government fees, gas, highway tolls, city access licenses and permits, parking fees, staff tips, and the hotel accommodation tax.
- Tips to staff and restaurants. (Additional gratuities can be
given at the sole discretion of each individual traveler and are not
required for participation on the tour.)
For more information, please call our office Mon.-Fri. 10am-6pm at 704.877.2003. Price listed is subject to change with or without notice.
What's Not Included in Tour Package
Trip price does not include airfare and anything that is not specified to be included. Price does not include any personal related expenses or travel-related expenses outside of the scheduled itineraries. The food & wine that is included is what is presented during meals, all other items ordered by traveler including wine and other alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks are not included in tour price. Trip price does not include optional tips to restaurants nor to tour personnel such as drivers, maids, etc. These gratuities are given at the sole discretion of each individual traveler and are not required for participation on the tour.
Before you sign up you should note the following:
- The first day of the tour is Friday, starting in Rome (departure from U.S. on Thursday for an overnight flight). Last day of the tour is Monday, ending in Rome. Arrival in the U.S. is the same day of departure. It is your responsibility to get to the city where the tour begins.
- Airfare is not included.
- There are no activities scheduled on your arrival day, Friday. Your first scheduled activity is on Saturday at 10:00am: An introductory walking tour of Rome with an expert local guide who will meet you in the hotel lobby. Please wear comfortable walking shoes as you will be standing and walking for about 3 hours. We'll leave Rome after lunch to head to Positano by private transportation. More details will be sent separately by email.
- After you register, you will receive a "Benvenuto Box" by mail within approximately 10-15 business days. It will include reminders and important materials for your trip. The content may vary based on availability and by tour date/itinerary.
- Reminders, hotel information, and arrival instructions will be sent by email roughly 60 days before the start of the trip (please make sure we have your current email address).
- Transfers to and from the airport are not included in the tour rate. Please contact us if you'd like to add transfers to your tour package.
- Add extra nights in Rome before or after the tour and extend your stay in this amazing country. Contact us for a quote on additional nights (subject to availability).
- You must be in good physical condition to sign-up for this trip. This is not considered a physically challenging trip, nonetheless, there will be a lot of walking uphill, downhill, walking over uneven pavement, and standing for extended periods of time.
- The Amalfi Coast is full of windy roads, long tunnels, steep mountains, narrow bridges. Please bring motion sickness pills if necessary.
- Even though basic tips to staff and restaurants are included, it is highly recommended that you put aside approximately $100 (US) in combined gratuities for your driver & Tour Director for your entire stay (and any voluntary additional restaurant gratuities are at your discretion).
- The earliest activity on this tour starts at 9:00am and the latest activity starts at 11:00am.
- Nada's Italy highly recommends that you purchase Travel Insurance for your trip. For suggestions on policies, please contact us.
- Transportation for this tour is on a 16-seater luxury air-conditioned van.
- You should know that air conditioning in Italy, as well as wifi connections, are not as reliable as they are in the United States.
- The hotel staff assigns rooms to guests, some rooms may include stairs. A view is not guaranteed. Rooms differ in size and layout, in general, Italian rooms are smaller compared to US standards. Each room has its own en-suite bathroom with shower and/or tub, hair-dryer, and toiletries.
- It is your responsibility to obtain the required documents to travel to Italy. Your passport should be valid for 6 months after your return date. Verify with your own country's travel laws and government agencies.